Flirting with Disaster (Camelot, #3)

Flirting with Disaster (Camelot, #3) - Ruthie Knox 3 1/2 stars. Flirting with Disaster reminded me a bit of old movies featuring male friendships, except that in this case, the relationship is between a woman and a gay man. (Is there a name for that like Bromance? Other than nasty ones?) Although it's primarily a romance between Sean and Katie, Judah Pratt is important enough to the story that we see his point of view. And just like in many of those movies, the relationship is unequal: despite the fact that she's coming out of a bad marriage that took everything she had, and he's a celebrity musician, Katie is the strong, reliable one, Judah is the needy, difficult one. (She's Humphrey Bogart, he's Walter Brennan.) It was great that part of Katie's journey towards confidence and a new sense of self was not about her romance with Sean.Katie is trying to make a place for herself in her brother Caleb's security business, and her chance comes when Judah insists she's the one to help him with his stalker issue. There's just two problems: one, she's paired with Sean, who literally refuses to even speak to her. And two, Judah refuses to tell anybody what the problem actually is. As Katie and Sean navigate the situation, she discovers the truth -- Sean won't talk to her because he has a terrible stutter. But that's only part of the truth -- really, he won't talk to her because he's had a crush on her since their high school years, and she's the one person who makes his stutter come back.This was a great batch of characters. Katie is honest and open -- "no pretense to her. No reserve. She was what she seemed to be, always." Sean's a problem solver, calm and inventive. And Judah is so lost and sad, I just wanted to hug him. I was so glad that he got a happy ending.The themes of each character's personal journey were interesting (Sean's has to do with his relationship with his narcissistic mother) and the book was often funny. ("'If I get killed, make sure Paul gets my guitar, okay?' 'Are you an organ donor?' Katie asked. 'If you are, I'd like your ego.'") But the story as a whole didn't entirely coalesce, and I found the ending frustrating and disappointingly conventional. The angst seemed tacked on and didn't make sense to me, especially considering how the epilogue plays out. I'd have to say I liked the book more for its individual parts than I did as a whole.