Too Stupid to Live (Romancelandia)

Too Stupid to Live - Anne Tenino 3.5 stars. The cover, premise, and series title of this book captured my attention at once, but it could easily have gone either way. Luckily, I found it cute and funny, and not too overdone.Sam, a gay graduate student who loves romance novels, is instantly smitten with Ian, who looks like the Hot Highlander of his dreams. Unfortunately, Ian instantly dismisses the gangly, geeky Sam as not his type -- but then finds he can't stop thinking about him. A casual hook-up starts to gain momentum, but Ian's fear of commitment keeps getting in the way. There may have to be a Big Misunderstanding and a very dark Dark Moment before true love can win out.This is kinkier than I was expecting, from the cute presentation. Sam is sexually submissive and a bit of a fetishist. (Ian gives him the nickname Squirrel, because he "likes nuts.") The sex scenes are frequent, inventive, and explicit. (They went into pet peeve territory when Sam nixed safe sex right after having been warned about what a manwhore Ian is -- only for a blowjob, true, but that's becoming pretty risky behavior.)One of the things I really liked about the book is that even though Sam is almost ten years younger than Ian, very insecure, kind of swishy, and sexually submissive, he's not spineless. He has enough sense of self-worth to know when he's being treated badly, and to say something about it. Sam's insecurity does get a bit old -- for the reader, if not for Ian.I also like the opposites attract element of the story. Ian is not only the quintessential straight-seeming gay guy, but he's only fairly recently given up on trying to be straight, and he's still not out at work. (There's an interesting subplot with a homophobic college friend.) Sam, on the other hand, is so far from passing, he never even had to come out to his family. Although I don't think it's said directly, committing to Sam is the final step of Ian committing to the fact that he's really-truly-for always gay, which makes his sense of conflict more understandable. Of course, the fact the he learns to appreciate Sam makes him the most sympathetic. The less than conventionally attractive person getting the gorgeous person -- that's true romance! (And m/m is the only place, so far, we're likely to see the less than conventionally attractive person be a man.)I'm not sure where Tenino plans to go with the "Romancelandia" theme in this series, but there's an appealing secondary character named Miller, a kind of laconic, down-home guy who's only recently come out, and who's put through the wringer in this story. I'm hoping we'll see something good for him.(reviewed from e-arc provided by netGalley)