Bully (Fall Away, #1)

Bully (Fall Away, #1) - Penelope Douglas 3 1/2 stars. With its unusual friends-to-enemies plot, this was unquestionably a page-turner -- once started I didn't want to stop, even though I found the beginning pretty generic NA. (First person narrator who's a bland placeholder good girl; bad boy love interest; slut-shaming; not much narrative richness or background.) As I read, it went up in my opinion in some ways and down in others. The good: Tate, the narrator/heroine is unusually self-aware, tries to play fair, and has some spine. Although she's put into standard NA situations, she gets herself out of them more often than she's rescued.The bad: it could definitely have used more editing. The grammar is fine for a colloquial first person novel, but there are some missing words, incompletely changed phrases, and repetitions that should have been polished out. I've seen much, much worse, but it is distracting. The gee-I-don't-know-about-this: it's weirdly violent. Not grisly or gross, but Tate often resorts to violence as a last, or even first resort. She jokes about having anger management issues, but it's really not a joke.The eww: the emphasis on Tate's virginity. I would have loved it if she had had a fling while away for a year -- the narrative insistence that she remain pure for the guy who's mistreating her (and is a total horn-dog) was so irritating. We're also told almost nothing about her year abroad; it was a convenient plot device that had no reality for me at all.So I finished the book feeling kind of unsettled -- but props for a great hook, and for sucking me in so well.Note: this is the first book in a series, but it's apparently not a "trilogy." No cliffhanging.