Tycoon's Princess Bride (Harlequin Presents #2667)

The Tycoon's Princess Bride - Natasha Oakley I read the preceding books in this continuity series some time ago and felt a little lost going into this one. (It didn't help that the Kindle edition is missing the family tree.) After deciding to ignore everything but the romance, I enjoyed this unusually understated Harlequin Presents. Domenic, a man who's suffered both emotionally and physically from a fire that took his wife and child, finds that he's the only one who seems able to see beneath Princess Isabella's perfect facade to the actual person underneath. But he feels too damaged to be be able to give her the life she deserves. I haven't seen one blurb for this book that wasn't nonsense. Both characters are principled, conscientious people and Domenic is about as far from a rake as you can get. His wife was his only previous lover. Although their family circumstances are a little difficult, the story is far more Beauty and the Beast than Romeo and Juliet, and the real conflicts are internal. This author doesn't write much for the Presents line and the story doesn't really fit it, but the closed bedroom door and quiet sadness of the characters all suited the overall tone.