Ravishing the Heiress

Ravishing the Heiress - You know the video responses they have on Youtube? All the while I was reading Ravishing the Heiress, I felt it was a literary response to Georgette Heyer's [b:A Civil Contract|311132|A Civil Contract|Georgette Heyer|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1328873389s/311132.jpg|3228237]. It's not plagiarism, it's not fan fiction, it's not homage... "reconstruction" is the word that comes to mind. As if Thomas had taken the bones of that story apart and then put it back together a more appealing way. (No offense to those who think A Civil Contract is just fine just the way it is.)This is the story of a marriage, one which begins very badly but becomes a tremendous success. As the story starts, Millie and her husband Fitz are the best of partners and companions, and we find out through flashbacks how they came to be that way. It's an utterly excruciating story, because throughout eight years of sexless companionate marriage, Millie has been helplessly in love with her husband and tortured by his behavior. But it's also rather lovely to see how the relationship grows, and eventually sparks into passion.There wasn't quite enough payoff for me, because although Millie eventually stands up for herself, Fitz doesn't really suffer for having been a jerk or a fool. I understand why Thomas wrote it that way, because that's the way their relationship is, but it feels a little emotionally incomplete -- especially since I don't think Fitz ever realizes the depth of the pain Millie's been through for the last eight years. I still thought it the best of the series, not counting [b:The Bride of Larkspear: A Fitzhugh Trilogy Erotic Novella|16052765|The Bride of Larkspear A Fitzhugh Trilogy Erotic Novella|Sherry Thomas|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348909198s/16052765.jpg|21836679]