Men of Smithfield: Seth and David

Seth and David  - L.B. Gregg I'm kind of sorry they changed the title of this story, because I think Happy Ending as the title of a romance about a massage therapist is just hilarious. The sexy new cover is a big improvement on the old edition, though.Our narrator Seth, whose life has sucked pretty fiercely for the last year, begins the story as he is tensely waiting for a massage. When his usual masseuse Linda is unexpectedly replaced by a young guy named David with great hands, Seth finds himself having an unexpected "happy ending" on the massage table. This is the sort of humiliating scene I would normally find excruciating to read but it actually came off as funny -- David is appalled and furious, but Seth is so relieved, he's barely even embarrassed.Seth has been a tentative dad to his niece Molly since his twin sister died, and it turns out that David has a lot of experience with young kids. As Seth and David continue to run into each other, Seth finds his uptight ideas about how proper dating and sex are supposed to be done continually turned upside down -- and he discovers he likes it. But complications abound, including threats from Molly's biological father, the return of Seth's pompous jerk of an ex, and some ugly pictures taken of David and Seth in flagrante delicto.Although short, this story nicely blends romance, humor, sadness and suspense. I liked how upfront Seth is -- when threatened, he contacts his attorney and the police, refusing to let anyone intimidate him just because he's gay. And though he is definitely uptight (to begin with) his narration has an appealing wry humor. David is sweet, but also no pushover. (Except in bed.) I would have liked to see the two characters have more time together to develop the romance, and especially would have like to learn more about David, who has a really interesting backstory that isn't much explored. Still, I finished the book with a smile on my face.Seth and David is the second title in the Men of Smithfield series. I haven't read the first book and found this one stands alone just fine.(reviewed from e-arc provided by NetGalley)