Some Assembly Required: A Journal of My Son's First Son

Some Assembly Required: A Journal of My Son's First Son - I loved Lamott's Operating Instructions: A Journal of My Son's First Year, both before and after becoming a parent, so I was bummed to find much of this book so... dislikable. I guess it's a lot easier to feel for someone who's totally effed-up when they're a broke new single mother, but not so much twenty years later, when they're a relatively successful grandmother who comes across as a pain in the ass control freak. (Yes, she is perfectly aware of this herself but you know what? Doesn't help!)Despite massive amounts of religious/spiritual efforts, Lamott has become the definition of a curmudgeon -- about almost everything, but especially about the mother of her grandchild. There's barely one word in this book about Amy that doesn't have a sting somewhere in it.The best parts of the book are Lamott's "Interviews with Sam," in which her son waxes eloquent about his son. Those are beautiful and joyous passages and saved the book from being a total downer. I feel like I have to average out and give the book 3 stars because of the parts that were lovely and meaningful but overall it depressed the hell out of me, and if I were being really literal I'd give it one star.