Her Favorite Rival (Harlequin Superromance) - Sarah Mayberry Like Mayberry's previous SuperRomance, [b:The Other Side of Us|15803208|The Other Side of Us|Sarah Mayberry|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1349082152s/15803208.jpg|21526622], this is a romance with a modern spirit -- the characters are very career-oriented, the relationship is initially sex-based, and the happy HEA isn't about marriage and babies (though doesn't specifically exclude them, either.) I'm not always the best audience for this type of story, but Mayberry rarely fails to engage me.Audrey and Zach both have strong reasons to be workaholics. Audrey grew up feeling inferior to her perfect sister (see [b:Her Favorite Temptation|18184035|Her Favorite Temptation|Sarah Mayberry|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1374638916s/18184035.jpg|25564995]) and is still trying to live down some serious mistakes from her past. Zach's past is even uglier -- Audrey believes him to be "an arrogant, overprivileged pretty boy", but she couldn't be more wrong. The job market is tight, there are frightening upheavals at work, and neither feels they can afford to do anything but concentrate on their careers. Except despite their job rivarly, they can't seem to stop concentrating on each other.The... non-gloomy realism of this appealed to me. It's good to see characters who managed to dig themselves out of bad situations, and it's realistic that their current situation isn't perfect, either. They're also still dealing with where they came from: Audrey's parents will never forgive or forget her screw ups, and Zach is constantly balancing helping versus enabling his addict mother.The enemies to lovers romance is hot and funny and occasionally touching. The way the characters think and feel about each is other is kind of tried and true, but effective. Though I wouldn't call it my favorite Mayberry, it's very enjoyable.(Reviewed from e-arc provided by NetGalley. This is currently available at the Harlequin ebook store and will be available elsewhere on September 1st.)