Lost to the Desert Warrior - Sarah Morgan As the cover indicates, this is a "sheikh" romance with more modern feeling characters. Layla and her younger sister Yasmin, daughters of an usurping ruler, are facing an ugly future when their father dies. In desperation, they flee on horseback to find Raz Al Zahki, the rightful heir.Raz is still mourning his dead wife, but he can't argue with Layla's plan -- if he marries her, his claim to the throne will be secure. "The tactician in him could see the benefit. The man in him recoiled." And so, though he agrees to the marriage -- and the consummation -- he rejects all of Layla's efforts to become part of his life, including caring for his daughter.Layla is a interesting personality. She's a book lover, but a very pragmatic one, rather than a dreamer like her sister. Having been essentially a prisoner her entire life, she relies on the knowledge books give her (her packing to run away includes a copy of "the Kama Sutra," in the hopes it will teach her what she needs to know as a wife.) Layla's not a doormat, but the life she's led has left her… resigned to the realities of life, and she accepts her fate as an unwanted wife. It's hard for her to recognize when that status starts to change:"I shouldn't have asked. I've spoiled the moment.""You have a right to ask, and you've spoiled nothing.""I have no rights, your highness. We both know that." Sadness shadowed the dark depths of her eyes...This was an entertaining story, but not completely satisfying. I don't think Raz takes enough responsibility for how cruel he was to Layla; she's not exaggerating when she says "I have no rights." At the end of the book he asks, "Why would you be afraid to tell me the truth about your feelings?" Um... maybe because you shot her down every time she tried to have anything resembling a real relationship with you?I found the passage of time in the story a little odd; sometimes it seems like lots of time has passed, others like only a day or two. (The fact that Layla's sister is missing in the desert and she's not completely sick to death with worry doesn't help the confusion.) And an Evil Other Woman plot makes both characters look like idiots -- Raz for putting Layla in her care in the first place, Layla for not complaining about the treatment.But on the whole I liked this, and thought it had a surprisingly plausible feel for a sheikh story -- perhaps because the characters aren't cookie-cutter. And if you enjoy stories that focus on first times for a virgin heroine, this is right up your alley. (Reviewed from e-arc provided by NetGalley. This book is available online now from eHarlequin in epub format, and is expected to be available at other outlets on August 20th.)