Thank You, Mrs. M - Kate Rothwell I vaguely remember reading in Kate Rothwell's blog that she got flack for writing a story inspired by the classic young adult romance Daddy Long Legs but with a foul-mouthed former criminal as its protagonist. What an incredibly short-sighted attitude. This is not just Daddy Long Legs gender-reversed and updated for shock value, but a thoughtful and really interesting re-imagining of how the story might play out in today's world. There are light homages to the original, which add a bit of extra glow to the romance if you're a fan, but what really made the story for me were the differences. It turns out the unknown philanthropist, here dubbed by our narrator Ben as "Mrs. Moneybags," has private, very unexpected motivations for helping orphaned Ben through college. And it was appropriate that Ben, who's described as very smart and thinking outside the box, catches on to what those are.I don't know if I'd classify this as young adult or not: it's not sexually explicit, but unquestionably rough, particularly Ben's teenage experiences at "helping pay the rent" for a predatory female landlord. On the other hand, Ben is really a great character, and I loved seeing the tough, cynical kid who's trying to hold his family together also be someone who loves learning.